English expressions to offer help - Learn Online English Speaking

When you want to help someone, how do you make your offer in English? It is common for English speakers to make helping offers in a conversation in order to be polite and helpful. In this lesson you will learn some useful expressions that you can use to offer help.

1) Can I…….?(followed by a verb without using the word to)
Example: - Can I Help you? Can I get you some juice? Can I bring some food over?

2) Shall I ……?(Followed by a verb without using to)
Example: - Shall I help you with your project? Shall I bring your laptop to the office? Shall I get you another drink?

3) Would you……?(Followed either by a noun or by the verb with to)
Example: - Would you like to drink some coffee? Would you like another piece of cake?

4) Do you ………? ( This expression is used when you are not sure if your offer will be welcomed)
Example: - DO you need something from the store? Do you want me to go through your files before you submit?

5) I’d be glad to help……( This expression is used when you are really happy to help someone)
Example:- I’d be glad to design your wedding dress for you. I’d be glad to cook for you.

Responding to offers
Following phrases can be used to accept someone’s help:1) Yes please, I’d like to. / Yes please, I’d love to.
2) If you wouldn’t mind.
3) Thank you that would be great.

Following phrases can be used to decline an offer:1) Its ok, I can do it myself.
2) Don’t worry, I’ll do it.
3) No, thank you.

Click Here to Learn English Grammar  | Click Here For Daily Use English Tutorials | Click Here For Phrasal Verbs

Comments